how to cook Buckwheat Kernels
How To Cook Buckwheat Kernels
Buckwheat is a wonderful ingredient to add to your kitchen cupboard, it can be served as an alternative to rice or made into porridge and delicious pancakes. Despite it's name, buckwheat is not related to wheat nor is it a grain. It's actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel making it a suitable substitute for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens. Buckwheat is available raw and untoasted that is greenish in colour or as toasted groats.
Ingredients• 1 cup JUST GLUTEN FREE Certified Organic Buckwheat
• 1 Free Range Egg, beaten (optional)
• 1 3/4 - 2 cups Water
If the buckwheat is already toasted (kasha) please ignore this option, otherwise consider roasting/toasting the buckwheat in a shallow sauce pan to firm its texture and enhance its flavour.
• Pre heat a pot over medium heat, add the buckwheat and the beaten egg stirring until the mixture is dry and the buckwheat is brown and smells toasty, about 5 minutes, breaking up any lumps.
• Add the water, bring to the boil then reduce to low.
• Cover and simmer for approximately 15minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
• Remove from the heat and allow it stand (covered) for five minutes. Fluff it with a fork and season it with salt and pepper (optional).